Monday, May 11, 2015

Meeting an Old Friend Unexpectedly


Robe, ca. 1700–1740. Eastern Plains artist, probably Illinois, Mid-Mississippi River basin. Native tanned leather, pigment. Paris (France), Musée du quai Branly, 71.1878.32.134

My wife and I visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art last Saturday to see the exhibit The Plains Indians: Artists of Earth and Sky on its last day before closing.  The exhibit was superb, and included many pieces from European collections that are seldom or never seen in this country.  http://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2015/plains-indians-artists-of-earth-and-sky


On our way out of the exhibit, we passed through the gift shop where I encountered an old friend. 


Copies of my Plains Indian Coloring book were on display. I was flattered to see that they were placed next to the exhibit catalog.  This was one of the first books I wrote and illustrated at the beginning of my career.  http://doverpublications.ecomm-search.com/search?keywords=David%20Rickman



As always, it's pleasant to meet an old friend unexpectedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment